10 May 2010

Running

So I have decided to take on the task of training for a 5K in July and a 10K in September. They are spaced two months apart, which is perfect for making sure I have enough time to train. I signed up for these races a week ago, right now I am trying to convince my husband, Ben, to run with me. I think he will run the 8K when I do the 5K and he has not decided between the 10K and half marathon in September.

Since deciding on doing this I have gone running 5 times, which actually went amazingly well. I have exercise induced asthma, which means I have to take an inhaler before I work out. I have been doing some aerobic classes to help me build lung capacity, but I have only been able to attend occasionally. Basically running is one of the hardest things to do for someone with asthma, but I enjoy running and I know it will help me build that lung capacity.

My runs actually went quite a bit better than expected. I figured a week later I would still be running half mile intervals, which I did do for a few runs. On Friday I ran a whole mile at one time and then Sunday I ran two whole miles in one go. I have been running on treadmills to get me started, because I can push myself a lot harder when I see how fast I am running, how much time I have left and how far I have gone. It is easy for me to say, let's go .1 mile faster. That's how I got to two miles. I would set the treadmill at one speed and set a time goal, then at the end of the time I would bump it up slightly and set another time goal. Next thing I knew I had been running for just over 20 minutes and went 2 whole miles.

Currently I am trying to get my older brother to run a 5K with me and I am trying to get my Mom to walk the 5K I am running. I think it would be fun to make it a family affair.

No comments:

Post a Comment