27 July 2012

Weddings!

So last weekend was the weekend of weddings!  We have been invited to 8 weddings this summer and 3 of them happened last weekend.  Of course they also happened in 3 different states:  Iowa, Missouri and Indiana.  So how do we decide whose wedding to go to?  How about my cousin's and the only relative getting married?  We spent 3 nights and 4 days in Fort Wayne last weekend to help my cousin celebrate her marriage.

Before we went to Fort Wayne I was thinking I would start doing things after coming home to encourage Sam to drop his middle of the night feeding.  Well, Sam had different ideas and last week Wednesday he did it all on his own!  Everything I was going to do to encourage it he simply did and then proceeded to sleep through the night!  It was a glorious 8.5 hours!  Although he started waking a little in the middle, so I got things ready to feed him (like glass of water, use the restroom, things like that) and in the couple of minutes it took me, he fell back asleep.  When he awoke again at 6am, I was somewhat annoyed he was waking early (normally wake up is around 7am), but then realized he slept through the night and all my annoyance was gone!

I assumed that with the trip that meant we'd take a step back from sleeping through the night, but it didn't.  The first night there he woke up every 3 hours like he used to, but the second and third night he managed 6+ hour stretches, so that was good.  The first night home he also didn't sleep well, but since then he's been doing about 9 hour stretches.  My body is finally adjusted to the fact that I don't have to wake up in the middle of the night and I am also finally sleeping as well!

Anyways, during our trip to Fort Wayne we were able to relax a little about Sam.  First of all, we knew we would have more than a tiny bit of time to see these relatives, so we were stricter about making sure he got his naps in and stayed on his routine a little closer.  Then every time he needed to eat, I took him off somewhere quiet to nurse him.  Between that and him being a little older I think that helped him not get over stimulated.  All these things together made a very happy baby overall and helped him remain a good sleeper at night!

It was really exciting at the wedding though because my whole Dad's side of the family was there!  My Dad has one sister who has three children.  It used to be family gatherings on that side were really tiny, there are 5 of us in my immediate family and 5 in my aunts family, then add my Grandma and that made a whopping 11 people.  This time, however, there were several more!  With 3 of us married and 2 with kids our numbers are growing!  We had 16 of us!!  Plus one in utero (not me, my cousin who already has one) so that would actually be 17!  It's quite exciting to me that our family is now growing.

It was really good to see everyone and for everyone to meet Sam.  Now some of the family did get the opportunity to meet him already, but some hadn't.  My parents and brothers pretty much had a monopoly on Sam's time the day of the wedding.  Which was fine because my parents had to go home the next day and the rest of us would be still around for at least another day.  The next day we went to my Aunt and Uncles for gift opening, then I hung around for a while.  The cool thing was we had an opportunity to get a photo of Grandma with her 2 great-grandkids!

No comments:

Post a Comment