28 June 2011

LWML Convention: Top 10 Things Learned

So last Wednesday thru Sunday I was in Peoria, Illinois at the LWML Biennial Convention.  I found myself going there because I was selected to be a Young Woman Representative (YWR) for my district.  A friend from CUW was the other one selected for my district.  I did not know what I was getting myself into...

Now for all you wonderful ladies that do not fit the stereotype, to many of us younger women LWML (Lutheran Women's Missionary League) is a mystery to us and mainly made up of white and gray haired ladies that run the kitchen at Church.  Now some of us might know this isn't completely true (Ok, some of us had mothers involved in it and they still aren't white or gray haired), but I don't think many of really know what the LWML does or what it's purpose is.

Well, going to the convention was a learning experience.  Somethings that I did discover is that it is not about a bunch of older women, wearing purple, asking for mites and running the kitchen at Church.  Now I think deep down inside I knew that all of that isn't what the whole organization is about, but I never really knew what it was about either.

I would just like to give you a brief rundown on what I found out.  If you are part of an LWML society and would like to get young women connected in your Church, let me know and I will try to share some of the wisdom that I gleaned from the weekend.

10.  Not all the women have white and gray hair.  :-)

9.  Despite some lunch serving problems and technical difficulties Phyllis Wallace was still a great speaker and found the humor in a frustrating situation.

8.  I still don't completely understand the problem with the word "intentional."

7.  The first worship service I have ever attended where when written "women only" for a hymn stanza it didn't sound very different from when men and women were singing.  However, when it said "men only" you suddenly knew where to find all the men in the crowd!

6.  There are some younger LWML groups started and thriving out there.

5.  The LWML national president that finished her term is a wonderful lady who has a focus on Women "in the word, of the word, walking with our Lord."  And who would knock Bible Study?

4.  National Conventions are busy and I came home feeling way more sleep deprived than I ever imagined at an "older women's" conference!

3.  Katie Stam is not only completely gorgeous, but very Lutheran and an amazing speaker who made everyone cry at her speech.

2.  I couldn't walk anywhere without running into someone I know or at least someone who has strong connections to someone I know.

1. LWML Mites are mighty strong in supporting missions!

They raised $1,825,000.00 to go towards missions and this page to see where they went to in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment