11 June 2012

Iowa East District LWML Convention

On Friday and Saturday we went to Dubuque as a family for the Iowa East District LWML Convention.  I was supposed to talk about my experiences as a YWR (Young Women Representative) at the National Convention in Peoria last summer.  This was somewhat nerve racking because it was the first time we were taking Samuel on an overnight trip!

On Thursday I put together a list of things to pack for Samuel (in the process though I found out I left some things I needed at home, but oh well, I made do!).  Trying to make sure we had everything we need.  In the end I didn't bring near as much stuff along as I envisioned I was going to have to take for him.

Things went well overall, so that was great!  We left Friday after feeding Sam.  We got there in time to get our room, grab registrations and our box lunch, feed Sam and eat our own lunches, just in time for the opening service.  Which  I would have to say was a nicely done opening service of the convention!

We stayed at the afternoon meeting session for most of it, until I had to leave to nurse Sam.  Ben then joined us a little later and took a nap.  We went down to the banquet that evening, which Sam did very well at, unfortunately we kept him out a little too long and he got a bit over stimulated.  We fed him a bottle while we were there, which he did great with.  When he was getting a little fussy around 9:30, I took him back to the hotel room so he could sleep and not be around all those people and the noise.  Well, that was the right decision, because by the time we reached the room Sam had worked himself up into quite the fit!  Once I got him settled down, I fed him and Ben showed up.

Sam wasn't so keen on sleeping that night, but again, we over stimulated him and I am sure that had something to do with it (not to mention he wasn't sleeping in his usual room!).  The next morning I got up, fed him and went to breakfast.  We didn't register Ben for the 2nd day, so he chilled in the hotel room during the morning.  When it was time for Sam's mid morning feeding I went back to the room and nursed him.  Then I took him along for an interest session and lunch, just to give Ben a break (and he had to load up and check out of the room!).

I gave him back to Ben during lunch.  During the afternoon session I got to talk about my experiences at the national convention last summer.  You can read my top tens post about it here.  I opted to use humor when I talked about it, because most of the people there attended the national convention.  I closed with a few points on participation of young women in LWML.  Hopefully I was able to give them an idea of something they can do to encourage it!  (the idea was personal invitations-not expecting the note in the bulletin to attract them)

I can say our first overnight was a success and the convention was good!  I do regret that we didn't have time to walk through the exhibit hall.  We just kept missing them!  Oh well, that does happen!  At least I have probably seen most of the booths present at different conventions and gatherings.  With that though, now I sometimes personally know the exhibitors!  So it would have been nice to go through and see who was there that I knew.

After being at convention I have a renewed interested in trying to get young women involved.  The things that LWML does is truly amazing!  I think us younger women have things to learn from those lovely older ladies who work so hard at doing all that LWML does.  No, I really don't appreciate sitting through business meetings, but I love that missions are being funded so that God's Word can reach more people!

No comments:

Post a Comment