03 February 2012

January 27 - We Have a SON?!?!

My parents jumped in their car to come down as soon as they saw Ben's text that we were in labor and the baby was coming.  They just didn't see the message until 10:30 so they got here a little later than they wanted, but also just in time.

Shortly after they arrived my Dad (an LCMS pastor) and our pastor went upstairs with us to baptize little Samuel.  With him in the NICU we just wanted to make sure it happened, after all they were telling us most babies end up staying close to their due date (April 28th).  It was amazing to see him get baptized.

The rest of the day I spent just in shock that he was born, we have a son, I'm a mother, I'm no longer pregnant....  WHAT just happened????  It all happened so quickly, I just couldn't quite wrap my mind around it.  But we had family out and we had friends stopping by and that kept my mind occupied enough to not freak out that Sam was really just born.

We took the rest of the day kind of easy, I went and saw Samuel a few times.  I finally got to eat something around 4PM (the evening before I ended up having a small supper while Ben was resting, if I knew labor was really going to happen, I probably would have eaten a lot more).  One of the nurses came in and got me started on pumping.  Pumping was really awkward at first, as I really didn't have any idea of what I was doing except what the nurse said.  But I figured as long as I follow their advice I should be ok.  The advice they had been giving me up to that point seemed to be good advice.

That night after everyone left (Ben decided he wanted to sleep at home, and I was too tired to really care where he slept) I was able to pass out and sleep like I hadn't slept in months.  It felt really really good.  And maybe the next day I would begin to comprehend what just happened...

No comments:

Post a Comment