06 February 2012

Sunday, February 5 - I Know What I Need!

So pretty much since day one we have known that Samuel knows what he wants and he is determined to get it.  As was evident when he pulled all the stuff off of his head because he was tired of it on him.  Or his determination to take the tube out of his mouth constantly.

Today he showed a new determination.  It start with him making the nurse run back and forth because he would drop his heart rate or stop breathing, just to bring it back up or start again right before the nurse reached the room.  Occasionally we would have to encourage him some, but generally he figured out on his own that he needed to bring his heart rate up or start breathing again.

This afternoon he decided that enough was enough and he did not want to be on his belly anymore!  I was grabbing my gear for pumping when I heard him cry.  We weren't doing anything to him (normally he has just cried when he's tired of people messing with him), so I investigated.  I looked in to see him squirming all over the place trying to (what seemed to me) get off of his belly and in some other position.  So I went to go grab a nurse.  I would turn him myself, but I don't think I should until he has less wired and tubes attached to him!

When the nurse came in we were laughing because he sure knew what he wanted and made sure we know it!  Ben and I are sure going to have our hands full with this determined and strong willed child!  :-)

Other exciting happenings included Ben's Dad, Dale, stopping by after going to the early service to say goodbye.  It was good to have him here and he sure seemed to enjoy seeing little Sam (despite me often kicking the guys out to pump...).

I went to the late service at Church (my first time there since Sam was born) and got to talk to a lot of people.  I was just sad I couldn't have Sam with me to show him off, but alas, that must wait for a while longer...

When I am out and about and I see new Moms with their babies I can't help but feel a little jealous that they get to have their babies home with them and I have to visit mine in the NICU.  I know that's the best place for him right now, but that doesn't make it any easier that we didn't get the typical picture perfect have the baby then take him home a few days later when you are all discharged at the same time.

That evening we went over to a friend's house for some supper and to watch the Super Bowl.  At half time I returned to the NICU to pump and to hold my little son.  Ahh, that kangaroo care sure does us both good!

No comments:

Post a Comment