06 February 2012

Monday, February 6 - Fussy Baby and Good News

Today has been a fairly uneventful day.  Samuel's been kind of fussy off and on all day.  They had switched his tube for my milk to a larger size, but as he kept fussing they switched him back and finally managed to tape it down in a way that he isn't spitting it right back out!  But he was start crying a little for every little thing today it seemed.

Then I got to kangaroo hold him.  After that he finally settled down.  We also turned him on a different side, so it could be that too, but I'd rather think he settled down because of his cuddle time with his Momma.  :-)

The exciting thing today was another head ultrasound.  I know I said they weren't going to do it until Friday, but when I came in this morning they had changed their minds about when to do it.  Apparently this morning was when they met with the neuro doctor and discuss all the babies in the NICU, when discussing Samuel they decided to run another ultrasound today just because of the big discrepancy between the first two.  They wanted to hopefully confirm the second one.  So they ordered the ultrasound to happen today after all.

They came in before lunch and did the ultrasound and as I mentioned Samuel has been a fussy baby today, so he fussed all the way through the ultrasound.  I don't blame him, they were chasing his heartbeat down with that goop they use for ultrasounds on my belly all night, I don't think I would want anyone smearing that all over my head!

Later that day the doctor who's on today came to talk to me briefly.  He said that the initial look of the ultrasound looked the same or possibly even better than the Friday ultrasound.  He said I could come and look at the ultrasound pictures with him when I want, I told him I wanted to when I was done pumping.  I got to see the pictures from last Monday and today and it is amazing the difference!  Such a miracle!  There was a doctor there that made a comment on how the blood vessels sometimes get in the way with these premies and are easily read incorrectly.  So according to him there might have never been any bleeding problems.  At any rate I consider how strong and well Sam's been doing as a miracle, regardless if that can be explained logically!

The peripheral IV they put in him has been holding up really well.  Which is great because those kinds of IV's tend to not last very long and this one has lasted since Friday.  We ask your prayers that it continues to do well!

No comments:

Post a Comment