06 February 2012

Thursday, February 2 - Pokes Hurt

The big thing that happened on Thursday was trying to establish a Peripheral IV.  The goal is to eventually get the IV out of his umbilical line.  The problem with peripherals is that they tend to go bad quickly and can be hard to establish.  Today was showing the hard to establish part of it.

They came in and tried their best, but it just wasn't working, as soon as they found a good line, stuck in the needle it went bad...  Poor Samuel went through at least 4 if not 5 of those pokes.  He laid quietly through most of the pokes, in fact he just kind of laid there like, alright you can play with my arm or my leg or whatever, I know crying isn't going to stop you.

Well at either the last poke or second to last poke he decided he had sat there quietly enough for long enough and just let out a nice long cry.  He cried so hard, loud and long that he exhausted his little body and fell asleep.  Ben and I sat there amazed at how loud he could cry.  He's not loud in the grand scheme of things, and I know babies can cry much louder than he did, but he still had quite the volume!

With talking about the peripheral IV and not know when that was going to happen, and I think they were playing with the CPAP mask to find the best fit, I didn't hold him during the day, by the time everything settled down, it was getting late and I was exhausted!  So Ben got to Kangaroo with him.  :-)  We took our first ever family photo that evening!


5 comments:

  1. Great... out of all the pictures you could have put up! Thanks wife...

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWWWWWWWW :) i love you guys. i cant wait to come and me lil samuel:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you going to give Samuel the nickname "Joey"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm assuming you're meaning Joey because of the kangaroo time. Don't think we've considered it, but probably not. ;-)

    ReplyDelete