06 February 2012

Saturday, February 4 - Breathing is Hard Work!

This morning I woke up early to pump and decided to just get ready and head over to the hospital.  I needed more sleep and figured with all the people staying at our house, I would have a better chance of sleeping more in Samuel's room than at home.  So I left the quiet house full of sleepers that were sure to soon wake up.

I got to the hospital and grabbed some more breakfast, pumped and laid down.  Sleep overtook me quickly.  I woke up to talk to the doctor and hear more about the results of the head ultrasound.  Yesterday they gave us some preliminary results and what the doctor told me was also not an official reading, but I think we can go with it pretty well.  What he told us is that this ultrasound looked like there really wasn't much for bleeding.  In fact the grade 3 now looks like a grade 1 and the grade 2 looks like a 0.  The doctor said they might have been simply over zealous in the diagnosis the first time or they might have misread it too.  He found it hard to believe that it would have gone down that much in so short a time.  They will do another head ultrasound in another week and we are hopeful that it will match or be better than the one they did today!

The doctor also said that we would probably start giving Sam more of my milk at each feeding starting today.  He has been getting 3 milliliters every 3 hours and now he should get 6 every 3 hours.  They then starting doing this too with the 12:30 feeding I believe.  He has been tolerating the upped amount great too!

This morning Samuel must have decided that breathing is just hard work!  He would stop breathing enough, which would set off an alarm that would call a nurse over to check and help him.  After doing this several times and not getting his oxygen level back up the nurse decided to give him a little bit more oxygen.  He is doing great on the amount of oxygen he is given and actually only receives a little more than what we get breathing regular air.

Ben, AJ, Dale (Ben's Dad) and Anna all started showing up a bit before noon.  A few of them were surprised that I was at the hospital they had thought I was at home sleeping until it was commented on while eating breakfast.

During the afternoon everyone decided they were finally ready for lunch (I had eaten the food at the hospital already) so we took a break and went to Jimmy John's.  Then after finding out that Ben's Dad had never been to Cold Stone, we stopped there too.

This evening has been really uneventful.  I got to kangaroo with him again, which I just always find absolutely wonderful.  They have me pick him up and put him back and I am getting much more graceful at it, which means Sam gets less fussy during transition.

Now we are just kind of relaxing and getting ready to go home.  Samuel's still doing great!  He is gaining weight back now too, he is practically back to his birth weight!

No comments:

Post a Comment