09 February 2012

Thursday, February 9 - No More IV!!!

So today was really an extremely uneventful day when it comes to Samuel (praise God for that!), last night however was slightly more eventful (but only in good ways).  As I mentioned yesterday his peripheral IV went bad and they replaced it with a new one.  Well, that happened again last night!  Only this time they decided not to replace it.

Yesterday I wrote about how that peripheral IV was really just replaced to keep it open while they made sure that he was taking the feedings well.  Last night when the IV went bad, they decided that since he had been taking his feedings so well there was no real need to replace it, just keep going forward without it.

So today they starting fortifying my milk.  Instead of just giving it as is they added calories.  This means instead of 20 calories per ounce he is getting 24 calories per ounce.  So far he has been taking to his feedings really well.  We continue to be amazed and thankful that everything has been going so well!

This morning Samuel was being slightly fussy.  I kangarooed with him during his noon feeding and he was just so cozy and loving it!  We hardly heard him the rest of the day!

Today I got out and went the the ymca for a little while.  I did a half hour walk using the fancy new gps/activity tracker my brother gave me for my birthday.  It's really cool and I can't wait to get out and take advantage of more of the features, but all in good time I suppose.  For now I just want to get over to the ymca and do some walking several times a week.  Then if that goes well, walk longer and more frequently!

I decided after Samuel was born that it makes no sense for me to stop everything I am doing just because he is in the NICU.  This school year I have been tutoring two students once a week, so after going to the ymca, I came home, did some chores and tutored for an hour.  It was good to concentrate on something else!

This evening I have just been tired, Samuel seemed to be doing quite well, so I called it an early night and went home before 9pm!!  Not that that helped too much as I still need to pump before going to bed and it is already almost 10:20.  Alas, I am a slave to the pump!  At least I am giving Samuel the nutrition he needs and that is all that matters.  :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment