06 February 2012

Wednesday, February 1 - No More Bili Lights!

Wednesday was a fairly uneventful day.  The big news is that they took his bili light away.  The bili lights are used to treat jaundice if you remember from my Saturday post.  Every day they took a count of how much jaundice was still in his skin.  When the number gets low enough they no longer use the bili lights.  Well, the count Wednesday morning was low enough, therefore no more bili lights for Samuel!

That was good because that meant they were now able to snuggle him in better in his little incubator.  That snuggling is god for him because it gives him something to push against.  In my womb, he had all sorts of boundaries to kick (which he did kick quite regularly), under the bili lights he had almost nothing to kick and punch, which meant he was constantly squirming!

Now that he doesn't have the bili lights anymore and they wrap him in better he has been much more calm and relaxed overall.  It's good to see that, I always wanted to do something to help him calm down, but didn't really know what I should do!

The other exciting thing was that he pooped for the first time!  So before he just had wet diapers, now he is working on pooping out that gross meconium stuff that comes in a baby's first diaper (but for him it will take him a little longer to get it pushed out).  That means the milk is doing well with him and he is doing well at pushing it through his system.  So proud of my little man being able to poop!

I got to kangaroo with him again on Wednesday.  Those are such special moments for me with my son.  It becomes easier and easier to think of him as my son, my little child that I get to care for and love with all the joys and frustrations that go with that!

Now I can't remember if this happened on Wednesday or Tuesday, but since I had less to write about for Wednesday, I'm going to say it happened Wednesday, even though I think it might have happened Tuesday instead.  I think I have mentioned that Sam is stubborn.  If I hadn't yet, well, he is.  He is stubborn and determined to get what he wants when he wants something it seems.  Ever since birth, one thing he has wanted was none of these tubes and lines stuck to him anymore.  Just let me free!

Well one evening, while under the bili lights, he really managed to free himself from a lot of his "bondage."  Ben and I were sitting in the room and I saw him really squirming quite a bit, so I went to check on him.  I get over there to find out he had undone the velcro on his bubble CPAP hat that holds the CPAP in place, he had pulled out his eye mask that he needed to protect his eyes from the bili lights AND he had pulled the tube that goes down to his stomach almost completely out!  So I wash my hands quick and I get in there and I am doing my best to put things back where they needed to be (but I didn't trust myself shoving a tube back down his throat) so while I am trying to put things back I told Ben that we needed to get a nurse to get things back to place right!

I was very impressed with Sam's ability to get all that stuff off.  He is a smart and strong little boy!

And that is the thought I will leave off at with this post.  :-)

2 comments:

  1. I read through all of your posts, and I started getting emotional knowing the extreme emotions you are going through!!! I am praying for you and your family, especially for your son, but also for you with all of the emotions you are going through right now! What wonderful improvements he has been making in the past few days!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading about you pumping made me think about how awkward it used to be for me and so I wanted to tell about the trick that really helped me: cut slits in an old bra so you can pump hands-free. Let-down is so much easier when you don't have to focus on making sure the flanges are in position! You can buy hands-free gear for medela pumps too but the old bra trick has served me well. :-)

    ReplyDelete