08 February 2012

Wednesday, February 8 - Kangaroo Care is AMAZING!!

So today has thankfully been yet another uneventful day.  Last night I guess was a little bit more eventful (though not in the concerning kind of way).  They have been checking and rechecking that peripheral IV with some surprise that it has been holding up.  Well, last night, it finally went bad (as it doesn't work anymore).  So they had to establish a new location, which worked and he's been doing great on the new site.

Which the new site is needed more as back up rather than out of necessity for Samuel's nutrition.  Today they upped the milk intake to 18, which means (based on some elaborate formula that includes body weight and other things) he no longer needs the supplemental nutrition through the IV.  However, they don't want to rely solely on the IV yet until they make sure he is taking the milk consistently well for a little while.  Until then they are running what is basically sugar water through the IV to keep the spot live, until they can take it out.  According to the staff here, hopefully tomorrow they can take out the IV and remove another piece of equipment from the room.  Praise God for giving Sam the strength and health he needs to make all these "baby" steps.  :-)

This morning and early afternoon Sam's been a little bit fussy, but then we kangarooed for his 3pm feeding.  We kangarooed for almost 2 whole hours.  It was amazing.  Every time we kangaroo I just sit there with amazement.  He sleeps real deep during our kangaroo care, but every once in a while he'll shift position and I can feel his little arms, legs, hands and feet move around a little bit.  I sometimes look at him when he does that and just marvel at how he is a complete person despite being born so early.  He has all the body parts we do and he can move them around, he just needs some time to make them stronger.  This is truly amazing.

The other thing that amazes me about kangaroo care is how he immediately calms down and falls asleep as soon as I get him positioned on me.  He was being somewhat fussy just before I picked him up and while I was picking him up.  Then right when I get him positioned on me (before I even sit down, while I am standing by his incubator about to move to sit down) it's like the switch gets flipped and he's asleep.  Now if it stays that easy to calm him from here forward that would probably be a miracle, but I am just loving it right now!

Really nothing else has happened, since kangarooing I've had a very peaceful baby all evening so far and hoping that this evening continues being peaceful.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment